Darwin International Airport caters for both international and domestic flights and has a cargo terminal to service the Northern Territory. After Cyclone Tracy destroyed Darwin in 1974, there was a full reconstruction which allowed for a new and improved airport and today the passenger terminal has a range of shops and cafes as well as Duty Free shopping for the international traveller. The airport is also listed as an emergency landing site for the United State Government Space Shuttle Program.
The airport currently services over 56,000 flights annually and connects Darwin to all Australian capitals, Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, and Hobart but not Canberra, as well as some other regional airports such as Cairns and Broome. Internationally, you can access Singapore, East Timor and Bali direct from Darwin.
Why rent a car in DRW with BargainWheels?
- We have teamed up with Australia’s leading car rental brands like Avis, Hertz, Budget, Thrifty, Europcar, and Enterprise to provide you the perfect vehicle for all your holiday needs.
- Simply enter your dates and times, along with the pickup location, and you will be presented with a list of available vehicles from our suppliers. You can choose a vehicle by size or price.
- We offer total convenience when it comes to picking up your car rental by giving you the option to collect your vehicle from the moment you arrive at Darwin Airport. This way, you will have more time to explore! No time wasted on confirming credit card details, trawling suppliers websites or waiting in line to collect your car. We have many collection points so you will be able to collect your rental car in a convenient location.
- Aside from the fact that you can pick up your rental car in the airport, we also have several pick-up locations perfectly placed throughout Darwin for your convenience.
- Have enquiries? Contact us and our friendly customer care experts who will provide you with outstanding service.
NOTE: There is a section provided to enter your flight details. Make sure this is complete so the supplier will know if your flight has been delayed or cancelled.
Drive to Discover the Beauty of Darwin
Aquascene – Have you tried feeding a fish in the ocean? Rent a car and move to the heart of Darwin where Aquascene is and witness hundreds of fish come to shore at high tide to be hand fed. This unique spectacle began over 50 years ago when a nearby resident started throwing bread scraps to a few small mullet at high tide. Catfish, rays, cod, diamond fish and parrot fish may also be seen in the shallows for a few hours each day, and then return to sea with the tide. Trays of bread are provided at regular intervals during the feeding period for hand feeding the mullet and milkfish. Rent a car and experience feeding times in Aquascene that changes daily depending on the tides, thus, before driving your rental car to visit Aquascene, it is important to check this information.
Dig in at Darwin Dining Favourites
Char Restaurant – Offering a unique dining experience, you can book into the Char for a romantic dinner, a corporate occasion or simply for a dinner with the mates. The menu dares to dazzle your mind with fresh seafood, steak and more all done with a twist.
Hanuman – If your feeling like some Indian or Thai then this is the place to eat in Darwin. You can park the hire car here, and it is easy to find.
Cruise and eat – There are options to take a cruise in the harbour and enjoy the brilliant scenery whilst eating some fresh seafood or BBQ dinner. That sounds awesome and something that everyone should do if they are in Darwin.